Home Forums FZ750 freaks reserve switch/fuel pump

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    nolie
    Participant

does anyone know what the reserve switch operates?my bike came in boxes and the loom is a bit rough! i got the bike running with the cables hanging over the bike and the fuel fed direct to the carbs from an auxilery tank. now im trying to sort the wireing and fit the fuel pump etc. the two cables from the switch run to the pump relay.does the pump only run when the reserve is on,and the carbs are gravity fed when the tank is full? any info well apreciated!

Scott Kucera
    Participant

As far as I’ve been able to figure out, the reserve switch enables the fuel pump to run when the fuel gauge points to “E.” Switched to the ON position the fuel pump will switch off when the fuel gauge points to “E,” but the manual says that 1.3 gal. remains in the tank. Switching to the RES position will allow the fuel pump to run again and pump all the remaining fuel out of the tank, a little like a manual petcock does on a bike without a fuel gauge.

Scott

nolie
    Participant

thanks Scott,that explains all the cables going to the relay then.they dont make it easy do they! the wireing diagram i had is black and white,ive been crosseyed running my finger along the page! that info helps a lot,i should be able to sort it in the morning now.i thought being an older bike the cables would be simple,prob is cos i didnt pull it all apart,im not sure what worked before,im sure it wasn’t pulled apart cos everything worked like new! cheers mate

Scott Kucera
    Participant

I’ve got to agree with you that the FZ750 wiring diagram is not easy to trace. Being “older” has its relative meanings. Compared to any era of motorcycles before it, the bikes of the Eighties were hugely complex, and Japanese cleverness only complicated that trend. I haven’t looked at even newer bikes’ wiring diagrams to see if, like modern cars, have adopted packetized data over communication buses to simplify wiring.

Good luck with your reassembly. With any luck it all worked before it got pulled apart, and simply connecting it all up will make it work again. Cross your fingers.

Scott

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.