Home Forums FZ750 freaks Troubleshooting, advice needed!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Geoffrey
    Participant

Hi all. I’ve had my FZ 750 for 4 years now and I’m a novice when it comes to motorcycle. All i know is that i love ridding them. I rode the bike for the first summer and stored it. The next summer i tried to get it going and it didn’t work. Kinda took the wind out of my sail so i’ve neglected it ever since. Now i want to get it back in shape. I bought a new battery but the bike wont start. When i try to start it, it clicks and after maybe 10 seconds it stops. There’s an odd sound coming from what i think to be the starter? Also, if i turn the key too far the lights turn on but thats it. The neutral light is my only indicator that the key is in the correct position. Are these typical issues and are they fixable for a newbie. Anything els i can check or do to improve my chances of getting my bike started? Thanks

Jukka Häyrinen
    Participant

Hi! What happens between the first *click and the 10 seconds? It doesn’t rotate the engine the way it should when pressing the start button? Anyway, if u press the start button and it clicks and doesn’t rotate the engine, only the starter motor rotates, u should stop pressing the start button.. Sounds like some pinion or smth in the starter doesn’t catch properly. I haven’t had problems with it yet, so I dunno how to fix it.. Probably a good cleaning will do. Lets wait for professionals opinion.

#1 FZ
    Participant

If it’s been sitting for a while I would get the carbs cleaned out. I had a similar issue with mine after it sat for 2 years. The pilot jets needed to be replaced/carbs cleaned out/new plugs/new fully charged battery and fresh fuel is what it took. It now runs perfectly!

Also, it should fire in less than 10 seconds. If not, you could burn up your starter if you keep the switch in to long.

Geoffrey
    Participant

It was a continuous clicking for 10 seconds and then it seemed to just stop. Sounded like the engine might have been trying to turn over. It seems to get progressively worse. Every time i got back to it, the clicking length gets shorter. Now there’s no clicking.. The neutral light wont turn on now and the signal lights are on but they don’t flash? Ill attach a picture of the electrical.

Graham Beale
    Participant

The clicking you refer to sounds like the fuel pump doing its job. It clicks until the system is up to pressure then stops until the engine is running so I wouldn’t worry there. I would guess you have flattened your new battery now so a good charge should see you back to when you started out with dash lights on.
    Carbs off & thoroughly cleaned is a must if it’s been stood for any length of time over 6 months. I would suggest new plugs but see how you get on removing & cleaning out the carbs & jets first.

Graham Beale
    Participant

Also I would want to know the engine wasn’t seized before expecting the starter motor to deal with it. Select 4th-5th gear & see if you can hear the pistons moving up & down when you try to push the bike forwards. If the back wheel is locked solid then there is no point asking the starter motor to try tuning the engine over.
    What’s with the long grey wire in your above picture?

Geoffrey
    Participant

Alright, ill get on the cleaning of the carbs and new plugs right away. I’m pretty certain the engine isn’t seized but ill try your tip out. I have absolutely no idea what that grey wire is or what it does? There’s a taped up.. i dunno what attached to it? Its close to the size of a C battery?!? Thought it looked weird, that’s why i attached the picture to see what you guys would say. I think the previous owner might have messed around with it. Ill attach another picture with what the grey wire is connected to. Thanks for all the advice!

Graham Beale
    Participant

Wow that looks like ET’s face in the black tape in your left hand! lol
    Have you got a Clymer manual for the bike? Something not right about that set up to me. Going on the 1st picture it looks like you only have 1 live from the battery to the starter motor relay. There should be another live from the + battery terminal that goes to the main fuse in the 2nd picture that is for (I think) the alternator or generator if you’re American. Where is that grey wire coming from & what is inside the ET pouch in your left hand? Not exactly clear from the pictures.

Geoffrey
    Participant

WOW! I’ve had great success with all this advice. Im learning sooo much. I GOT IT STARTED!! The clicking was the sound of the fuel pump working as it should + i needed to boost my battery so i have it charging now. I’m in the process of changing ALL fluids, bought new ignition switch (the old one was messed up), oil filter, gas filter, spark plugs, and a new chain. My Clymer book came in and i still cant figure out what that thing is? Could it be a relay or a rectifier? The grey wire is connected to the red wire that goes to the positive on the battery. Not sure what its for…?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.