Home Forums FZ750 freaks Bringing FZ750 back to life!!

• This topic has 27 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by al.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    DanikH
    Participant

Hi every one! Not long ago i came across beat up 86 fz750, so i decided its time for new project. The dude almost gave it to me because it was eye sore in his yard. Its only missing almost all plastic body and rear axle. It should be huge challenge to bring it back to life sence its probably been siting outside for like 8 years with tank full of gas:/ so i will need all help i can get from u guys. I will be posting pics as i go.

DanikH
    Participant

after a lil scrab its actually doesn’t look soo bad! Im not looking forward to open up carb and find old gas eating it oway. Gas tank probably need to be scrapt, its very much rusted on inside, i will post pic of it next time, and carb when i open it up.

Robert
    Participant

at least the muffler likes ok 🙂
    r1 oem carbon? sounds well!!

DanikH
    Participant

haha yeah thats like only thing that still held up well
    worst case scenario i will sell it if i dont get bike running!!lol

Robert
    Participant

maybe this vid can help you, something similar http://youtu.be/WMoVueaSTWE

#1 FZ
    Participant

Nice find DanikH! Good luck on the rebuild of this classic…

DanikH
    Participant

Thanks Scott, im really looking forward to have a running FZ750!lol Thanks Robert for the video link, i wish my bike was in better shape, then i would try to get it started too, but im gonna tear it apart to the bare frame and start over:D im planning on tearing down the engine, replace all the gaskets, lap and adjust the valves. Hopefully engine will be in good shape without any cracks or broken pistons. I didnt even turn over the engine yet so idk if it seized or not, im up for a suprise i guess. Motor was fairly easy to handle since its all aluminum. Suprisingly i can lift engine and transmission by my self no problem! im gonna post more pictures of cylinder head soon, its pretty gunked up so stay tuned:))

Jukka Häyrinen
    Participant

Looks good! The chains might need oiling.

DanikH
    Participant

thanks, and if u talking about drive chain then that thing prity much trasht, rusted beyond repair for sure, i will get new one when i get to it.

Mike
    Participant

wow you got your work cut out for ya. and expensive. totally worth it. im doin the same with mine fortunatly mines complete and i scooped up a complete parts donner for 275..hope your motors not siezed. good start tho. ill be following this thread.

DanikH
    Participant

you so right its gona be challenge that for sure Mike. But i wount give up on it just yet!:) and motor not seized and no cracks in the block or head, piston rings all still good and no play in bearings so looks like i have green light to go ahead and purchase full gasket kit and put the motor back together.:D in mean time here some pictures of the cyll head, it looks really nasty specialy on the exhaust side and it looks like it had sticking valve in cyll #2

DanikH
    Participant

it took me a while but i got most of it cleaned out, and underneath its actually disent head, all ready for a valve lap! im looking for a head gasket set rite now, but they not chip for this bicke, so i really want to get the right one. this it a budget build so can some one point me to the right one!!!! i found some ebay gasket kits, so pleasee let me know what u think and i know im not fan of ebay parts but price it tempting lol heres sole links hope they will work, let me know what u think!!
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/85-91-Yamaha-FZ750-N-T-TC-U-UC-Engine-gaskets-Set-New-Reproduction-CI753FL-/160826477187?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2572014a83&vxp=mtr
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-FZ750-FZX750-Complete-Gasket-Set-New-/150802554091?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item231c885ceb&vxp=mtr
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-GASKET-KIT-FZ750-1985-/330685464476?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cfe63bf9c&vxp=mtr

Kevin Dowd
    Participant

Hey danik, I don’t know where you are located but I live in Canada. I ordered a full engine gasket kit from a place in Ontario, Canada. Its called S.C.I vintage motorcycle. The kit cost me just over $200 canadian and I recieved it in the mail in less than a week. Here’s their website, http://www.siriusconinc.com/

Graham Beale
    Participant

Be warned, clearances will be out once you lap your valves in. Did mine & it wouldn’t start after due to low compression. Had to replace all 20 shims. Obvious when you think about it but didn’t anticipate that one.

Craig
    Participant

A little word on gaskets.. Visit a motor factor & buy a sheet of gasket paper, and some hole punches, then make your own, very easy. O rings for the water pipes, induction, pick ups etc, maybe buy a kit of o rings, from a hydralic supplier etc. The ‘special’ Yamaha gasket sealant for the crankcase is actually clear silicone bathroom sealant from any hardware store- honestly!, (just smell it) check the numbers on the tube( BS No’s in UK) I have used this stuff for years – no problems. This stuff is also great for sealing exhaust pipe joints, it does not burn, when you have to split the exhaust in future, it just peels off. (Used in Kart racing for years) As for the head gasket, best to buy new, but I have split these in the past by drilling the rivetted sections, removed all the teflon from the stainless steel and recoated with Blue Hylamar, allowed to dry, then assembled, again no probs.

If your thinking of recoating/painting the engine before reassembly, try using spray cans of Gasket Remover, this stuff strips the powder coating used on the engine…

Good luck!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.